Johnsburg Survey Summary Updated 4/2/09
Residents of the Johnsburg, WI area who live within one half mile of at least one wind turbine were asked to complete a written survey. Forty six per cent returned the survey, many with additional comments. Here is a summary of the 219 responses that were received. Note: residents live in the midst of the Blue Sky/Green Field Wind Farm in east central Wisconsin – 88 Industrial Wind Turbines scattered across 10,600 acres of rolling farmland in Fond du Lac County.
- A. If you could do it over, would you have turbines on your property or near your home?
60% said NO, including 30% of those currently hosting a turbine.
- B. What problems have you encountered?
- TV, radio reception – 57% (124) now have a problem with TV or radio reception
- Shadow Flicker – 52 % (113) stated they have a problem with shadow flicker
- Noise – 50 % (108) stated yes, noise is a problem
- Look of the landscape – 49% (108) dislike the new views
- Cell phone reception – 30% (66) now have cell phone reception problems
- Construction concerns – 21% (47) cited problems during the installation
- Impact on plants and animals – 11% (25) indicated problems
- C. Would you approve an expansion for more turbines in your area? (Phase II)
63% said NO, including 26% of the respondents that indicated they already host a turbine.
- D. How far should a turbine be placed from a home?
62% indicate a setback should be 1/2 mile or more; only (22%) support the Wisconsin Public Service Commission setback of 1,000 ft.
- E. When asked about building or buying a home, 71% said not closer than 1/2 mile to a turbine.
- F. What Health problems does your family experience that you attribute to the turbines?
33% indicated at least one of the following problems: Sleep Loss; Headaches; Nausea; Stress; or Seizures, with 25% stating their sleep was disturbed at least once per week.
- G. In addition to these impacts on humans, 30% indicated negative effects on pets, farm animals or wildlife.
H. How do you think the wind farm has affected your property value? 58% stated their property lost value. Estimates of loss ranged from 10% to 60%.
Typical Comments also received from those responding are listed by subject area: (3/30/2009)
#1: I know we need alternate energy sources, but we were told they (turbines) were not noisy and they are extremely noisy.
#2: Very noisy, cannot open my windows in the spring, summer or fall.
#9: I think land owners and homeowners should do their homework before jumping at the almighty $Dollar. They (turbines) are an eyesore for the nice community we used to have. My advice, don’t go through it, you’ll be sorry. In summer I cannot open windows due to the noise. People come to visit and they cannot believe people have to put up with them (turbines).
#23: Who will buy our home now? Why can’t someone help us now before the next 40 turbines go up in the same area? Farmers signed a contract under the table – we had no say in anything. We can’t build a shed – it was too big so they say- but they can approve of these damn, good-for –nothing wind farms. Closed windows – still can hear them damn things. Tell people to fight back before it’s too late.
[Please see post for December 3, 2009: Thinking of leasing land for wind turbines? No going back if you do.]